Chocolate Cupcakes( no flour, no refined sugar)
Callum found this recipe and made them all by himself, they have become a favorite treat with the boys. Callum cooked the cupcakes then set them up for a photo. Monkey see, monkey do.
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup arrowroot flour or corn flour
1/4 cup almond flour/meal
1/4 cup cacao powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup almond milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine coconut flour, cornflour, almond flour, cacao, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Combine the honey, eggs, coconut oil melted, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla into a bowl, lightly whisk to combine, add to the dry ingredients and mix well. (I use an electric hand mixer.) you need to make sure that when you are using melted coconut oil that all your cold ingredients come to room temp.
4. Pour cake batter into lined cupcake tray, Bake for 17-22 minutes, you may need to cook for longer, 1 batch we cooked was in the oven for 35min,. Remove from oven when toothpick inserted comes out clean. Try not to over bake!
5. Cool completely and frost cake with chocolate frosting (below), if desired. You could also skip the frosting and serve with berries and yogurt.
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup softened butter
1 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. cacao
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1. Combine all ingredients and whip together with electric mixer. (If the frosting is too runny due to liquefied coconut oil, place in fridge for a short time and re-whip.)
2. Spread on cooled cake and enjoy!
These freeze well, but iced cupcake do not handle the lunchbox as the icing melts, but un-iced cakes are great.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Recipe comes from the unrefined kitchen